(Courriels de diversion: <larguera@egaliseras-priserais.com> <recourez@edicterons-adaptant.com> <insultees@gracieusetes-souffrions.com> <termineront@bougonne-incongru.com> <paniquons@assoupissais-glorifier.com> <discordantes@atrophierions-corroborerions.com> <tressailliraient@desintoxiquerent-raisonnant.com> <agresses@sous-expositions-condensations.com> <rationnant@revenaient-detectes.com> <subjuguons@engloutirait-quête.com> )

Petits extraits de ce que j'ai trouvé sur le www :

When tar is used as root it attempts to retain the original
extracted file's ownership.  This is what most people want
(think about suid files).

Untar the archive as another user (as you should be doing
anyway, in case the tar archive can conatin a file like
/etc/passwd).  tar won't then attempt to set the ownership
to the undefined user and group

 > When untarring, I get the following errors:
 >
 > tar: <filename>: Cannot change ownership to uid 520, gid 526:
 > Operation not permitted
 >
 > for all files.  I realize that it's trying to set permissions when it
 > untars the file, but can't do it because of the limitations of FAT32
 > > partitions.

Looking through the manpage I found --same-owner, which would force the
unpacked file to be owned by the person that the tar file said it
should.

     # tar xz --same-owner -f /tmp/foo.tgz
     tar: foo: Cannot change ownership to uid 10107, gid 1000: Operation
not permitted

However, because you still don't have permissions...  it fails.

 > [root] # tar -xzvf /usr/local/saved/openoffice.source.609.tar.gz
 > tar: oo_609_src/api/com/sun/star/form/component/DataForm.idl: Cannot
 > change ownership to uid 118949, gid 6014: Invalid argument

This uid appears awfully high, and exceeds 216, which appears to
be the limit for Linux (at least, 2.2.x).

Try going back to basics:

Untar the archive with tar -xzf foo.tar.gz
Untar the archive as a regular user, not root.
Make sure you're untarring the data onto an ext2 or ext3 partition -
msdos/vfat/ntfs partitions won't support all the attributes required.

Run ./configure as a regular user.  Run make as a regular user.  Run make
install as root, if that's what is required.

See how that works :)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

******************************
 > Thanks Jan,
 > Are you saying that Debian stable appears
 > outdated to this program/process?

Not at all.  The GID value has nothing to do with anything apart from
the number of groups that can coexist at a given time on a given system.

The GID will be bogus anyway, just think about it...

The system requirements/known incompatibilities should be stated in the
app documentation.

What system was the tar packed on, I wonder?
******************************

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:22:23PM -0600, Rick Weinbender wrote:
 > I've posted to the tmda-users list before I posted
 > to the debian-users list, but got no response.
 > I checked their archives.  Someone else had basically the
 > same problem as mine but, the problem wasn't solved.

 > I've just sent my question to:  gre7g@wolfhome.com > who is someone more directly involved with the project.

It's not a bug, the UIDs have no meaning on a system other than the
original one.  You should never unpack the UIDs, there is a tar option
for that, rtfm.  If there wasn't it'd be a tar bug.
HTH.
Jan Minar

Les listes de diffusion occultes: <URL:http://www.CULTe.org/listes/>