(Courriels de diversion: <indecise@obtuses-impayable.com> <deteriorez@approximativement-postera.com> <reformes@commemore-defroncer.com> <verite@interêts-cacheraient.com> <sous-evaluerons@reapprends-sous-payerait.com> <enonciation@sous-payes-cuirait.com> <diphterie@soupions-preleveras.com> <gouter@graduerions-pronerais.com> <maîtresse@peninsules-inexplorables.com> <participais@peignant-chiffrage.com> )

Je cite Pierre Estrem, le Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:18:41PM +0200 :
-) Hi Tous,

Salut!

-) Deux versions:
-) - la mienne (aidé d'un petit dico en soft) :
-) http://pierre.estrem.free.fr/biglux/purposes.htm
-) - celle générée par un traducteur en ligne; faut s'y prendre paragraphe par
-) paragraphe par suite de limitation :
-) http://pierre.estrem.free.fr/biglux/objectives.htm
-) Privilégiez la 2ème version.

Je suis parti de la deuxième version, pour tenter de "l'angliciser".
Voilà ce que ça donne. N'hésitez pas à relever les quantités de fautes
d'anglais que vous trouverez, tous commentaires bienvenus en général.

Marco

Main objectives

According to me, here are the main trends to follow about the improvement of the accessibility of Linux to blind people.
First of all, I think that it is mandatory to distinguish two types of access to Linux: the access through the command line and the access through the GUI (Graphical User Interfaces).

About the command-line mode, blind people can already benefit of (?) a good level of accessibility provided that they have a supported Braille terminal.
About voice synthesis, things are not so obvious because if it is  completely possible today to use hardware or software vocal synthesis in english, it is not the same in french. It is thus now necessary to work on francization of voice  so that people working in this language will no more face this obstacle of size in the future. It is currently noted that the number of blind people considering a switch to linux is in constant progression, but in my opinion too many give up because of this language barrier.  It is thus time to make thing change in this field.
Another big problem has to be added to this obstacle : it should be considered that the largest majority of blind people are computer users to overcome as much as possible the daily-life difficulties related to the handicap. The computer should make possible to blind people to read documents under various formats and to edit his own documents. However, to propose a Linux box today to a blind person and to claim that it will completely meet his need would not be reasonable.
For example, if the person wishes to write in a simple way some snail-mail with a clean presentation, he should use a word processing application. However, this type of application exists only with a GUI and is thus inaccessible to blind people for the moment.
In the same way, it is likely that a graphical web browser is mandatory to display correctly the contents of a website, the current design techniques of web publishing being based on the use of this type of browser.
At last, is one able to use effectively an OCR in command line mode ?
I am not sure.
This make me come to the second axis to consider : the GUI access. In this field,  I think that quite everything is still to be done.
For the moment, we are primarily at the stage of discussions, and it is desirable to make things change as soon as possible so that Linux becomes the reference operating system in the world of visually impaired people.

To conclude, I would say that BigLux have to mainly direct its development work in the following fields:
- francization of voice synthesis,
- accessibility of the GUI.