(Courriels de diversion: <week-ends@racler-etudie.com> <disqualifierai@dissuade-bousculerez.com> <nourrices@mesestimant-creees.com> <resineuse@contesterai-galvaudait.com> <achalande@impassibilite-ravitaillais.com> <deprime@porte-bagages-consolable.com> <lancerez@indecise-obtuses.com> <impayable@deteriorez-approximativement.com> <postera@reformes-commemore.com> <defroncer@verite-interêts.com> )

Salut Nath ... & Co,

Je viens rapidement de faire la synthèse entre le travail de Pierre,
Marco et CPHIL.
Meme si ce n'est pas encore le top,
il me semble que tu peux l'envoyer en ton nom à Jan Buchal
pour les RMLL.

J'essaierai de retravailler dessus d'ici le 4/7.

Les corrections de forme sont toujours les bienvenues.
Celles de fond aussi d'ailleurs : ce serait dommage de s'auto-censurer
meme si on n'arrive pas tout de suite à un
consensus. Celui-ci pourra murir après RMLL.

Main objectives

Here is my position about the main trends to explore for the improvement
for blind people's Linux accessibility.

At first, we must distinguish the two access types to Linux : through
command line and through GUI (Graphical User Interfaces).

For blind people using a supported Braille terminal, a good level of
accessibility exists for command line mode.

The same is not true for speech synthesis, for which hardware and
software supports exists presently in english, but unfortunately not in
french.
This is a mighty sized obstacle for french naturals and therefore work
for frenchifying speech synthesis is one of our main goals.
We notice a constant progressing number of blind people considering a
switch to Linux, but this languages barrier causes too many to give up.
It is about time things change on that matter.
Another big problem has to be added to this obstacle : it should be
considered that the largest majority of blind people are computer users
to overcome as much as possible the daily-life difficulties related to
the handicap.

The computer should make possible to blind people to read documents
under various formats and to edit his own documents. However, to propose
a Linux box today to a blind person and to claim that it will completely
meet his need would not be reasonable.
For example, if the person wishes to write in a simple way some
snail-mail with a clean presentation, he should use a word processing
application. However, this type of application exists only with a GUI
and is thus inaccessible to blind people for the moment.
In the same way, it is likely that a graphical web browser is mandatory
to display correctly the contents of a website, the current design
techniques of web publishing being based on the use of this type of
browser.
At last, is one able to use effectively an OCR in command line mode ?
I am not sure.
This make me come to the second axis to consider : the GUI access. In
this field,  I think that quite everything is still to be done.
For the moment, we are primarily at the stage of discussions, and it is
desirable to make things change as soon as possible so that Linux
becomes the reference operating system in the world of visually impaired
people.

To conclude, I would say that BigLux has to mainly direct its
development work in the following fields:
- frenchifying speech synthesis,
- accessibility of the GUI.

A+
--
Phil
voir aussi la dernière mise à jour des "BigLux skills"